Summary of Employment at Will Doctrine
(Signature Assignment: Critical Thinking, Introduced Level)
Compliance and the HR Functions
Before starting this assignment, be sure that you are familiar with what is meant by “critical thinking.”
Critical thinking is one of the five key rubric criteria by which your assignments are graded. Therefore, you are expected to demonstrate evidence of critical thinking in all assignments. For an overview of critical thinking, first read the Kurland article and then review the chart and watch the video:
teachphilosophy. (2012, December 26). What is critical thinking? [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oAf3g5_138
Foundation for Critical Thinking (2015). Our concept and definition of critical thinking. http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/our-concept-of-critical-thinking/411
Kurland, D. (2000). What is critical thinking? Critical Reading. http://www.criticalreading.com/critical_thinking.htm
Educational Technology and Mobile Learning. (2014) A must-have chart featuring critical thinking skills. http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2013/05/a-must-have-chart-featuring-critical.html
For this assignment, review the following:
HR Hero. (2017). Employment at will. http://topics.hrhero.com/employment-at-will-and-employment-law/
HR Hero. (2017). USERRA (The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act). http://topics.hrhero.com/userra-uniformed-services-employment-and-reemployment-rights-act/
U.S. Department of Agriculture (n.d.) IRCA antidiscrimination provisions. http://www.thecre.com/fedlaw/legal19/ircadisc.htm.
You will explore the topics below and how they impact the private sector (not the public sector) workplace:
- Employment at Will Doctrine
- Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA)
Address the following in a 4- to 5-page paper (not counting the cover page, references page and Appendix), supporting your arguments with citations to sources from the course and your research. Use at least five Trident Online Library sources, plus any applicable background readings to support your discussion.
- Provide a half-page summary of Employment at Will Doctrine, IRCA, and USERRA. Include these summaries together in one Appendix at the end of your paper.
- Discuss how major Human Resource Management functions are impacted as you discuss the following:
- Examine employment at will and its exceptions. Explain the exception that has had the greatest impact on the private sector workplace.
- Discuss the one most important change you see is needed to the IRCA and explain your reasoning.
- Review USERRA and detail its positive and negative impacts on the private sector workplace.
Upload your paper by the module due date.
Critical Thinking Emphasis
This assignment is designed to assess your critical thinking skills at the “introduced” level.
Case 3 of HRM520 takes critical thinking a step further, to the “reinforced level” by requiring you to critically analyze what you read to arrive at a higher level of thinking.
Then in HRM599 (Integrative Capstone), Case 1, your critical thinking skills will be further developed at the emphasized (or mastered) level.
These three assignments build upon each other and aim to offer you the chance to enhance and practice your critical thinking skills to reach better decisions.
Your paper will be evaluated using the criteria as stated in the Case rubric. The following is a review of the rubric criteria:
- Assignment-Driven: Does the paper fully address all aspects of the assignment? Is the assignment addressed accurately and precisely using sound logic? Does the paper meet minimum length requirements?
- Critical Thinking: Does the paper demonstrate graduate-level analysis, in which information derived from multiple sources, expert opinions, and assumptions has been critically evaluated and synthesized in the formulation of a logical set of conclusions? Does the paper address the topic with sufficient depth of discussion and analysis?
- Business Writing: Is the essay logical, well organized, and well written? Are the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary appropriate for graduate-level work? Are section headings included? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of responding, or is justification/support instead conveyed through excessive use of direct quotations?
- Effective Use of Information: Does the submission demonstrate that the student has read, understood, and can apply the background materials for the module? If required, has the student demonstrated effective research, as evidenced by student’s use of relevant and quality sources? Do additional sources used provide strong support for conclusions drawn, and do they help in shaping the overall paper?
- Citing Sources: Does the student demonstrate understanding of APA Style of referencing by inclusion of proper citations (for paraphrased text and direct quotations) as appropriate? Have all sources (e.g., references used from the Background page, the assignment readings, and outside research) been included, and are these properly cited? Have all sources cited in the paper been included on the References page?
- Timeliness: Has the assignment been submitted to TLC on or before the module’s due date?