Clearwater Electronics HR director to work with top management
Clearwater Electronics HR director to work with top management
Clearwater Electronics wants to strategically attract new talent to the organization to support future growth. Why is it important for the HR director to work with top management to improve the firm’s recruiting system?
· Because the HR director is responsible for the firm’s talent management, it is important to work with top management to ensure the recruiting strategy meets the firm’s overall needs and attracts top talent.
· Because the HR director is responsible for the firm’s talent management, it is important to work with top management to make sure that those recruited will fit into the company culture.
· Because the HR director is responsible for the firm’s talent management, it is important to work with top management to ensure the recruiting is legally compliant.
· Because the HR director is responsible for the firm’s talent management, it is important to work with top management to make sure employees are satisfied with their pay and that the firm has enough financial resources to attract top talent
2.You are the HR director for Clearwater Electronics and have been invited to the organization’s yearly strategic goal-setting meeting. You started with the company six months ago, so this is the first time you have been invited to attend. Why do you think it important you attend this meeting, and how do you think HR can best contribute to the organization?
· It is important to attend to ensure that nothing discriminatory is discussed and to provide feedback on HR issues such as hiring, firing, and workplace violations.
· It is important to attend to maintain HR records and comply with regulations.
· It is important to attend to better understand the organization’s strategic position in the market and align human resources with that strategy.
· It is important to attend so you can share the information you gather with your staff and other managers to ensure that everyone is updated and kept in the loop
3.Clearwater Electronics has an employee recruitment and retention goal of 90 percent. How does HR planning best help the company meet or exceed its employee recruitment and retention goal?
· HR planning helps the organization know how many employees the organization needs as well as what type of employees to hire.
· HR planning helps the organization improve its plan to build an open and creative workplace.
· HR planning helps synchronize the company’s financial obligations with its desire to pay its employees a competitive salary.
· HR planning helps the company determine whether it needs an HR recruiter.
4.Due to an increasing number of company employees, the HR department at Clearwater Electronics wants to implement a new human resource information system (HRIS). The department plans to hire a new employee to assist in this implementation and will be looking for someone with technical skills in HRIS as well as communication skills. Why is it important for HR professionals now to have these skills?
· HR professionals need to be able to provide employee training in computer skills in order for employees to improve their productivity.
· HR professionals are now being asked to manage processes and need to be able to analyze and solve problems based on data, which they should then effectively communicate to others.
· HR professionals need to be skilled in computer programs to improve their productivity.
· HR professionals need to have these skills to help managers and employees troubleshoot issues that arise on the job and then communicate results to others.
5.As the HR director of Clearwater Electronics, you know it is important for HR to be as close as possible to where the people and problems are located. Which reason best explains why it is important for HR to know the line managers and their needs?
· Because line managers are responsible for their employees, it is necessary for HR to empower them to implement HR initiatives and make sure they are successfully carried out.
· Because line managers are responsible for the health and safety of their employees, it is necessary for HR to provide training to prevent accidents.
· Because line managers are the ones responsible for interviewing and hiring potential employees, it is best that HR collaborate on recruiting efforts to ensure the right people are hired.
· Because line managers are on the front line, HR needs to ensure they and their employees are protected from legal ramifications should something go wrong.
6.An employee on one of Clearwater Electronics’ production lines violated safety protocols by disabling a machine’s safety guard. The line manager wrote up the employee and submitted the violation to HR. Why is it important for managers and HR to work together to promote a safety-first culture?
· It is necessary for them to work together to make sure OSHA guidelines are clearly stated in many places on the production line.
· It is necessary for them to work together because ignoring safety issues shows a lack of respect for employees as well as the company.
· It is necessary for them to work together to make sure employees pay attention and understand safety training offered by HR.
· It is necessary for them to work together because neglecting safety issues can cost the company substantially when workplace injuries occur.
7.At Clearwater Electronics, the HR department is revamping the compensation function of the company in order to attract and retain qualified employees who are more likely to contribute to the company’s strategic goals and objectives. Why is it important for the company to be concerned about more than just wages and salaries?
· Many employees today value companies that are most concerned with their market position.
· Many employees today value companies who hire from the top universities because they know their coworkers will be driven and engaged.
· Many employees today value a culture where leaders constantly push them to achieve.
· Many employees today value different aspects of an organization, such as working in a positive environment, social impact, autonomy, and safety.
8.Clearwater Electronics is having a hard time matching its demand for staffing needs. The COO has asked the HR director to develop a forecast to project temporary labor versus full-time employees. Why is this type of analysis helpful for human resource planning (HRP)?
· Because HR planning provides a company with easy-to-use reports and tools, the HR director can prioritize workforce initiatives.
· Because HR planning allows recruiters to identify good job candidates, the HR director can continuously be looking for top talent to fill open positions.
· Because HR planning allows the company to understand employee demand and match it to the supply, the HR director will be able to assess more accurately how positions can be filled, whether internally or externally.
· Because HR planning helps a company control unplanned talent costs, the HR director can focus on issues that limit employee productivity.
9.Clearwater Electronics, which has approximately 1,600 employees, is hiring a compensation and benefits manager. This HR specialist position will work with the highest levels of the company’s management team to ensure the costs of compensation and benefits align with the company’s strategy and philosophy. Why is this position a crucial one for the HR department?
· Because compensation and benefits programs are designed to recruit top talent and retain employees who add value to the organization, the new position is critical to the success of the company’s strategy.
· Because compensation and benefits managers assist other employees with their compensation and benefits elections, it is crucial that the person in the position be able to work well with others.
· Because compensation and benefits managers manage the payroll of the company, the new position is vital in keeping the payroll system current and accurate.
· Because compensation and benefits programs are responsible for job evaluations and job descriptions, it is crucial that the person filling the position be an excellent communicator.
10.The HR recruiting specialist and line managers at Clearwater Electronics work closely together when hiring new employees. The line managers are ultimately responsible for the final selection of a new employee, but the HR recruiting specialist serves an important role by providing information about potential employees and arranging for interviews. Why is this service helpful to the line managers?
· The recruiting specialist can help the line managers from expecting too much, too soon from new employees.
· The recruiting specialist can help the line managers from rushing the hire because there is an immediate need to fill positions.
· The recruiting specialist can help the line managers from relying too much on the interview, a common recruiting pitfall.
· The recruiting specialist can help the line managers from interviewing applicants who are not qualified for the positions.
11.Clearwater Electronics just hired a new warehouse manager in India. He has several employees who report to him. The HR director will be training the warehouse manager to conduct quarterly performance appraisals and has sent him the performance appraisal form she uses for her own direct reports as a template. However, she has asked him to modify it to better assess the needs of the Indian subsidiary. Why is it important that the warehouse manager make the modifications?
· It is important for the performance appraisal to assess performance independent of culture.
· It is important for the performance appraisal to recognize conflicts that arise in the subsidiary because of cultural differences.
· It is important for the performance appraisal to assess competence and contribution to the company, but it is also important for it to be sensitive to Indian norms and values.
· It is important for the performance appraisal to be consistent among the company subsidiaries. Therefore, the warehouse manager can contact managers in other countries to see what their performance appraisals contain.
12.The HR department at Clearwater Electronics requires all HR professionals in their main office in the United States to be well-informed about global HR issues and processes. Which statement best explains why it is important for HR professionals who never plan to work abroad in one of the company subsidiaries to be well-informed about global HR?
· An HR professional must understand global HR to be able to work and communicate effectively with employees in different countries and when faced with different national guidelines.
· An HR professional must be prepared to address any legal issues that arise with company employees.
· An HR professional must understand global HR to be able to train the employees in the company subsidiaries.
· An HR professional may say they never want to work internationally, but over the years the HR department has seen many people change their minds.
14.Clearwater Electronics plans to open a company subsidiary in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The new office will have several engineering positions to fill and has asked for assistance from the HR Director. The HR director has recommended some of these positions be filled by current engineers from Clearwater’s Bengaluru, India, office. What is the best reason for the HR director to make this recommendation to have third-country nationals relocate to Dubai?
· The HR director knows the Indian engineers will be able to teach new employees about company policies and procedures.
· The HR director believes the Indian engineers will have less culture shock when moving to the United Arab Emirates than someone from the United States.
· The HR director believes the cost of compensation and benefits will be lower if the company brings in engineers from India rather than hiring local nationals.
· The HR director knows the technical skills of the Indian engineers as well as the needs of the Dubai office. Relocating current employees will help minimize the need for training and bring the office up to speed more quickly.
14.The HR department at Clearwater Electronics has been asked to develop a job description for a new managerial position in Dubai. Clearwater’s policy states that subsidiary managers should be employees from the parent company. What benefits does the company hope to realize from this ethnocentric approach?
· The ethnocentric approach will allow the manager to better represent the company subsidiary to the parent company.
· An employee from the parent company will cost the company less than it would cost to hire and train a local national from Dubai.
· An employee from the parent company will have a strong working knowledge of company policies and procedures, work ethic, and productivity, and can ensure that company guidelines are followed.
· Ethnocentric staffing offers the opportunity for the manager to learn from and transfer foreign values to the company.
15.The scarcity of qualified HR managers with global experience has been identified as a major challenge for the HR department at Clearwater Electronics. Therefore, the HR director has developed a job rotation program where selected, highly skilled HR managers will work abroad in one or more assignments during their career. Why is it most important for these HR managers to increase their appreciation of cross-cultural differences, develop a global perspective, strengthen their technical skills, and broaden their socioeconomic and political knowledge?
· These skills and abilities will enable the HR managers to recruit better employees in the company subsidiaries.
· These skills and abilities will enable the HR managers to appreciate all aspect of the company’s operations, especially the contributions made by the company subsidiaries.
· These skills and abilities will provide the HR managers with greater managerial mobility.
· These skills and abilities will enable the HR managers to manage, engage, and support employees in the company’s international subsidiaries more effectively.