Race and Ethnicity From A Sociological Perspective
Race and ethnicity
In Chapter 12 of your textbook and the videos presented on Blackboard,
race and ethnicity are presented in detail. When looked at from a
sociological perspective, the concepts of race and ethnicity and the
consequences of these terms are far more complex than common usage and
In your discussion posting, first:
1) Discuss from a sociological perspective the difference between race
and ethnicity, along with the terms prejudice, racism and scapegoat.
Explain how your racial or ethnic identity has played a significant
(positive or negative) role in your life?
2) Racial and ethnic stereotypes are everywhere in the mass media
(social media, television ads, magazines etc). Surveying some of these
mediums, identify racial or ethnic stereotypes in the media. Who were
3) Post a response to another classmate’s posting, discussing your
thoughts of their post in a respectful and thoughtful manner. What
stood out to you about their analysis? Which sociological or
psychological theories best explain the dissemination of these racial
or ethnic representations in the mass media?
NOTE: Make sure you answer all parts of the discussion question and
that each post and response meet the minimum word count requirement of
250 words for each post and classmate response. Posts that do not have
an accompanying classmate response or do not meet the minimum word
count requirement will not be graded and will receive a “0” for the
Discussion postings are worth 20 percent of your total grade (5
percentage points per post and response)
• You are required to first post a response to the discussion board
prompt and it must be a minimum of 250 words. Citations, titles,
copying questions, references, and other identifying information does
not count toward word count.
• You are required to use proper grammar and spelling. When using
other sources, citations using APA style are required.
• Direct quotes are not permitted in discussion posting, therefore you
must paraphrase and cite.
• You are required to post a response to a classmate. Your post will
not be graded unless you do so as well. When responding to a classmate
to a classmate, your response needs to be pertinent and of substance.
Stating that you agree or disagree is not sufficient. You must
substantiate your responses. Responses must be a minimum of 250 words
• Above all, your posts must be respectful and worthy of intellectual
honesty, sincerity, and humility.
Reference Book: Sociology: A Down-To-Earth Approach
Authors: Jim M. Henslin
ISBN 978-0-13-519347-1(e-Text and loose-leaf text)