Understanding Why People Work
Motivation is very much essential for enhancing employee productivity and developing the workplace environment within the company. The report will highlight the motivational activity performed by the company within the workplace to evaluate the growth and development in the workplace. In addition to this, it will also showcase the factors which are very much essential for motivating employees in the workplace. Nevertheless, the report will also display information regarding the positive and negative employee experience in their job roles. In the end, various strategies will be suggested to cope up with the negative factor of motivating employees in the workplace.
Definition of Motivation
Motivation is a process that initiates, guides and enhances goal oriented behaviours within the workplace. Therefore, performing motivational activities towards the employees to promote business operation is very much essential. In addition to this, the motivational concept involves the emotional, social, cognitive forces that assist the gaining the trust and faith of the employees (Steinhilber, 2017). Henceforth, various theories of motivation support the operation of the company in balancing the workplace culture.
Maslow’s Need for Hierarchy involves five motivational factors that support the employees by fulfilling their basic needs (Tanner, 2020). In addition to this, the entire factors within this motivational theory can influence the needs and behaviour of a person.
The term extrinsic and intrinsic motivation refers to outside rewarding and personally rewarding. Intrinsic motivation involves personal rewarding which is mainly meant for personal development. In the same situation, extrinsic motivation defines the behaviour of the employee in the outside world. For example, external rewards and others.
Various factors that motivate employees at work
The main factors which can be consider for enhancing the motivational level of the employees in the workplace.
Salary: Salary is one of the key factors which motivate employees to work effectively and efficiently within the workplace. Furthermore, salary is one of the basic needs of an employee to enhance productivity within the organisation (Daly, 2020). For example, leading MNCs provides appraisal to the employees to promote motivational aspects within the company.
Promotion: It involves various growth aspects for the employees in terms of quality work. Therefore, it can be considered that weekly appraisal, promotion as per effective performance motivates employees to achieve the target goals (Hartman, 2020). For example, in the marketing department of a Retail Company, the target given to the employees encourages effective performance to achieve the goals of the company.
Work Environment: Another motivational factor is the workplace environment and culture, which encourages the employees to accomplish the task within an appropriate time (Dickson, 2020). Therefore, the working environment is one of the crucial factors which support the employees to deliver effective performance and maintain positive workplace culture.
The positive factors employees experience as a result of their job roles
Motivation is very much essential for the promotional and development of workplace culture to enhance the growth of the company. In addition to this, positive motivational aspects are very much beneficial for the employees in terms of career development opportunities.
- Improves job satisfaction: Motivation plays a crucial role in managing the job satisfaction level of the employees within the workplace (Mehmeti, 2020). In addition to this, employees mainly get the benefit of satisfaction within the workplace which encourages others. For instance, the newly appointed fresher within the organisation analyses the workplace environment and motivational supports from the senior towards the subordinate. Furthermore, it enhances the job satisfaction level of the employees towards the goals and culture of the company.
- Improves job performance: Motivation is very much essential for improvising the job performance of the employees within the workplace. Therefore, motivation increases efficiency and supports the mental condition of the employees (Mehmeti, 2020). It also builds cultural development within the organisation to accomplish its goals. For example, the marketing head of a retail company motivates the subordinate to promote the goods and services of the company to accomplish the organisation target.
- Increases team oriented working environment: The motivational factor supports the employee character and encourages effective communication with others. Therefore, motivation helps individuals to communicate with others regarding any task and target of the company. For example, the assigned work given to the team members requires teamwork to accomplish the task within a specific time. Therefore, it helps in accomplishing the target and creates proper communication between the employees and senior team management.
The negative factors employees experience as a result of their job roles
Apart from the positive impact, there is some negative factor which arises due to improper implementation motivational aspects. Therefore, leading MNCs analyses the negative factor of employee motivation to enhance overall growth without any kind of problems. Thus, the following are the negative aspects that can arise due to improper communication or less motivational aspects. The following are the negative impact of motivation factors within the organisation.
- Creates workplace conflict: The major weakness of motivation is it creates workplace conflict among the employees regarding an appropriate discussion. Therefore, excess motivation to a single individual may create overconfidence (Thompson, 2021). Ultimately it will hamper the workplace culture and create cultural differences among the team members. For example, cultural conflict and providing appraisal to a single individual neglecting the effective performer always creates workplace conflict. Henceforth, it hampers the operation of the company through different approaches.
- Focus of the employees towards incentives: The weakness of employee motivation is that employees push hard to achieve the target for gaining the incentives (Thompson, 2021). Therefore, after gaining the incentives, the employees don’t push to achieve further from the target, which decreases all the operation of the company. For example, in the marketing department, mainly the salesperson only achieve incentives by just touching the target. Henceforth, it decreases the focus of the employees towards the organisation growth.
- Improper communication with team members: The increase in motivation also creates communication difficulties among the employees (Blasi, 2019). Therefore, this workplace difference decreases the effort of the employees towards team oriented working to accomplish the target of the company. Henceforth, the nature and characteristics of others and decrease confidence level, which ultimately results in resignation.
Strategies to cope with negative factors employees experience as a result of their job roles.
Different strategies can be executed to mitigate the issue of the negative impact of motivation. Therefore, employees can easily mitigate the issue and accelerate the overall growth of the company. Moreover, it is very much important to mitigate the negative factor to stabilise the operational activity and promote a work-friendly environment. Furthermore, leading MNCs promotes the strategies to neglect the improper impact of a negative factor. The following are the strategies to overcome the negative factor:-
- Team meeting: Team discussion or meeting improves the working ability of the individual along with knowledge and skills (Portela-Pino, 2020). In addition to this, team meeting also removes conflict and increases efficiency in the working environment. Henceforth, the overall growth and development of the company will enhance by managing the team ability within the workplace.
- Maintaining HRM practices within the workplace: HRM practice is very much essential to decrease various conflicts and maintain a proper workplace environment (Hornsey and Fielding, 2017). Furthermore, HRM improves the workplace culture and maintain proper communication between the employees. In addition to this, leading MNCs always maintain an HRM department to balance the workplace culture and increase efficiency within the workplace. Moreover, the issue of workplace conflict can be mitigated with HRM practice.
- Promoting innovative ideas: The issue of team member communication differences can be mitigated by developing innovative approaches within the organisation. In addition to this, apprising different innovative ideas improves the communication among the employees in terms of discussion. For example, while launching new products in the market, the team members should discuss various innovative ideas of marketing to promote business operation. In addition to this, the communication conflict also hampers the culture of the company, which is very much essential to be mitigated immediately.
Apart from the above discussion, motivation is a very formal process that improves the working nature of individuals within the workplace. Therefore, the issues generally arrive while favouring a single individual in front of others. It means favouring and apprising the person how has not given any effort in front of the hardworking employees. Therefore, it mitigates all the issues of the company within the workplace and promotes and revenue growth.
It can be concluded from the above report that motivation is very much essential for every organisation in the modernised business world for retaining effective employees. Henceforth, it improves the growth and development of the company by creating a work-friendly environment. In addition to this, the factor that motivates employees within the workplace such as salary, working environment helps in accomplishing the target of the company. Moreover, motivation has both positive and negative impacts, which may affect the business operation of the company. Therefore, the strategies can easily accomplish the negative impact and enhance the overall growth of the company.
Books and Journals
Blasi, M.D., 2019. Problematic video game use as an emotional coping strategy: Evidence from a sample of MMORPG gamers. Journal of behavioural addictions, 8(1), pp.25-34.
Hornsey, M.J. and Fielding, K.S., 2017. Attitude roots and Jiu-Jitsu persuasion: Understanding and overcoming the motivated rejection of science. American Psychologist, 72(5), p.459.
Mehmeti, A., 2020. IMPACT OF MOTIVATION AND JOB SATISFACTION ON EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE.
Portela-Pino, I., 2020. Gender differences in motivation and barriers for the practice of physical exercise in adolescence. International journal of environmental research and public health, 17(1), p.168.
Thompson, A.M., 2021. Effect of daily teacher feedback on subsequent motivation and mental health outcomes in fifth grade students: A person-centered analysis. Prevention Science, 22(6), pp.775-785.