Adult physical and health development
Generally, physical development in adults involves physical, sexual, and their health, and reproduction state. At this development level, young adults aged 40-60 years have a risk for injury, substance abuse, violence, etc. During this level, there exist some specific physical changes and experiences people in that age bracket undergo. According to Lachman (2004), middle-aged people experience changes in hearing, joint pain, vision, and weight gain. There are different developmental tasks that adults undergo, according to Havighurst (1972). These tasks include: acquiring autonomy, growing identity, emotional stability, career, intimacy, parenthood, etc.
To better understand adult physical and health development, several questions were generated to elaborate their views on different changes and experiences and how they feel about it. The questions pointed to physical and health condition changes mainly covering age bracket of 40-60 years and over 60 years. These questions were drafted to get opinions from different audiences. The following shows a list of generated questions used:
Example of health questions used are:
- a) compared age mates, would you say that you are physically more active, less active, or about active
- b) Is that (a lot more or a little more active/a lot less or a little
- a) what is the difference compared to your level of physical activity a year ago? Would you say you’re more active, less active, or about the same as you were then?
- b) Is that (a lot more or a little more active/a lot less or a little less active)?
- How much control do you think YOU have over your future health? Would you say you have a great deal of power, some, very little, or none at all?
- Do you take your physical exercises REGULARLY?
- Do you exercise more as much as you want or less than you need?
- How often do you take a long walk like a mile, more at a time without resting? And how many days per week.
Example of physical activity questions include:
- How often do you undertake vigorous activities AT LEAST 10 MINUTES that result in HEAVY sweating or LARGE heart rate? Recorded in terms of several times and periods.
- For about how long do you take these vigorous activities each time? Recorded in respect to number and period.
- Anytime you do these vigorous activities, do you do 30 minutes or more or less than 30 minutes.
- How often do you undertake LIGHT or MODERATE ACTIVITIES for ATLEAST 10 MINUTES resulting from LIGHT sweating or MEDIUM breathing or heart rate? Recorded in several times and time took.
- For how long do you take these light or moderate activities each time. They were recorded in respect to several times and periods.
- Anytime you take these LIGHT or MODERATE activities, do you do 30 minutes or more or less than 30 minutes.
- How frequently do you take physical activities designed to STRENGTHEN your muscles, like lifting weights? Recorded in terms of several times and time is taken.
According to questions conducted, a physical development peak level of adults aged 40-60 years report having good health and physical functioning. Having decades of exposure to adults’ bodies grows wrinkles, organs do not function the way they were in youth, and lung and heart capacities decrease.
Different people were questioned, and other answers were obtained for health questions of evaluating how active an adult is compared to those of the same age. Responses for this question were that some are more active with being lightweight, others are less active because they have gained more weight in their adult age. This poses a health risk for adults who are heavyweight and physical practices are recommended. Also, comparing to how the body responds recently and a year ago, people gave different answers, some having changed from more active to less active because of weight gain over the past year. Others say they have transformed from less active to more vigorous since they have lost weight from the intense physical exercises.
A question posed about control of future health got different responses from targeted respondents. Some said they hope for better control of some by taking a balanced diet and doing body exercises. Others say a little and some none at all. A question for physical activities also got a response like often to keep fit and healthy. Also, some adults exercise more as they need to maintain good health and avoid gaining weight associated with the adult stage. Others practice less than they need because of laziness. Several adults questioned responded that they take long works frequently, which they gave because it is a good body exercise. Some said they once per week because of body weight.
Also, some questions about physical activities taken by adults for physical development got different responses regarding their experiences. Some adults said they rarely take vigorous activities for at least 10 minutes, making them sweat and breath heavily. Some said they do not do vigorous activities at all. This indicated that most adult populations grow more lazy and weak as they age. This was concluded from the analysis of answers given in terms of the number of times and time taken since adults’ average time to perform vigorously is significantly less. Very few of them take 30 minutes, and the rest take less than that.
Most adults take light and moderate activities to keep themselves busy. These activities make them breathe moderately and keep them fit. Some can not accept any light or moderate activities because of somebody’s conditions which grow over time when aging. Others are because of being obese caused by the immersive gaining of weight at their adult stage. Also, some adults aged more than 60 years can not do any of the tasks because of body conditions like joint pain. The average time taken by most adults is 30 minutes at most; others take less than 30 minutes. Data for this is recorded in terms of several times and periods. Very few adults do physical activities made for strengthening muscles. This is because most consider these activities are for youth, and some have health conditions that make them unable to lift weights. Some can not lift weights because of age, and muscles grow weak.
In conclusion, adult physical and heath development makes people change people according to their age group. As one grows older, the more he becomes unable to perform some capabilities he/she had in the past. In the adult stage, people develop physical and some health problems that limit them from doing some activities.
Acmhn,B.B., Msn,E.M., & Med,J.W. (2021).Morrison-valve’s foundations of mental health care in Canada, 1e EBook. Elsevier.
Nichols, H. (2017, July 18). Weight gain in early adulthood is linked to health risks later in life.
P.Nersessian et al. (2018) Loneliness in middle age and biomarkers of systemic inflammation.
Hill,L.H., & Mandishona,T. (2018). Theory development for adult health education research. New Horizons in Adult Education and Human Resource Development, 30(2), 27-35. https://doi.org/10.1002/nha3.20213