Assessment 3 Instructions: Improvement Plan In-Service
Assessment 3 Instructions:
Improvement Plan In-Service
For this assessment, you will develop an 8-14 slide PowerPoint presentation with thorough
speaker’s notes designed for a hypothetical in-service session related to the safe medication
administration improvement plan you developed in Assessment 2.
For this assessment it is suggested you take one of two approaches:
- Build on the work that you have done in your first two assessments and create an
agenda and PowerPoint of an educational in-service session that would help a specific
staff audience learn, provide feedback, and understand their roles and practice new
skills related to your safety improvement plan pertaining to medication administration, or
- Locate a safety improvement plan through an external resource and create an agenda
and PowerPoint of an educational in-service session that would help a specific staff
audience learn, provide feedback, and understand their roles and practice new skills
related to the issues and improvement goals pertaining to medication administration
The final deliverable for this assessment will be a PowerPoint presentation with detailed
presenter’s notes representing the material you would deliver at an in-service session to raise
awareness of your chosen safety improvement initiative focusing on medication administration
and to explain the need for it. Additionally, you must educate the audience as to their role and
importance to the success of the initiative. This includes providing examples and practice
opportunities to test out new ideas or practices related to the safety improvement initiative.
Be sure that your presentation addresses the following, which corresponds to the grading
criteria in the scoring guide. Please study the scoring guide carefully so you understand what is
needed for a distinguished score.
● List the purpose and goals of an in-service session focusing on safe medication
administration for nurses.
● Explain the need for and process to improve safety outcomes related to medication
● Explain to the audience their role and importance of making the improvement plan
focusing on medication administration successful.
● Create resources or activities to encourage skill development and process
understanding related to a safety improvement initiative on medication administration.
● Communicate with nurses in a respectful and informative way that clearly presents
expectations and solicits feedback on communication strategies for future improvement.
● Presentation length: There is no required length; use just enough slides to address all
the necessary elements. Remember to use short, concise bullet points on the slides and
expand on your points in the presenter’s notes. If you use 2 or 3 slides to address each
of the parts in the above example, your presentation would be 10–15 slides.
● Speaker notes: Speaker notes should reflect what you would actually say if you were
delivering the presentation to an audience. Another presenter would be able to use the
presentation by following the speaker notes.
● APA format: Use APA formatting for in-text citations. Include an APA-formatted
reference slide at the end of your presentation.
● Number of references: Cite a minimum of 3 sources of scholarly or professional
evidence to support your assertions. Resources should be no more than 5 years old.
● Part 1: Agenda and Outcomes.
○ Explain to your audience what they are going to learn or do, and what they are
expected to take away.
● Part 2: Safety Improvement Plan.
○ Give an overview of the current problem focusing on medication administration,
the proposed plan, and what the improvement plan is trying to address.
○ Explain why it is important for the organization to address the current situation.
● Part 3: Audience’s Role and Importance.
○ Discuss how the staff audience will be expected to help implement and drive the
○ Explain why they are critical to the success of the improvement plan focusing on
○ Describe how their work could benefit from embracing their role in the plan.
● Part 4: New Process and Skills Practice.
○ Explain new processes or skills.
○ Develop an activity that allows the staff audience to practice and ask questions
about these new processes and skills.
○ In the notes section of your PowerPoint, brainstorm potential responses to likely
questions or concerns.
● Part 5: Soliciting Feedback.
○ Describe how you would solicit feedback from the audience on the improvement
plan and the in-service.
○ Explain how you might integrate this feedback for future improvements.