Assessment 2 Instructions: Root-Cause Analysis and Safety Improvement Plan
Assessment 2 Instructions:
Root-Cause Analysis and
Safety Improvement Plan
For this assessment, you can use a supplied template to conduct a root-cause analysis. The
completed assessment will be a scholarly paper focusing on a quality or safety issue pertaining
to medication administration in a health care setting of your choice as well as a safety
For this assessment, you may choose from the following options as the subject of a root-cause
analysis and safety improvement plan:
● The specific safety concern identified in your previous assessment pertaining to
medication administration safety concerns.
● The readings, case studies, or a personal experience in which a sentinel event occurred
surrounding an issue or concern with medication administration.
Additionally, be sure that your plan addresses the following, which corresponds to the grading
criteria in the scoring guide. Please study the scoring guide carefully so you understand what is
needed for a distinguished score.
● Analyze the root cause of a patient safety issue or a specific sentinel event pertaining to
medication administration in an organization.
● Apply evidence-based and best-practice strategies to address the safety issue or
sentinel event pertaining to medication administration.
● Create a feasible, evidence-based safety improvement plan for safe medication
● Identify organizational resources that could be leveraged to improve your plan for safe
● Communicate in writing that is clear, logical, and professional, with correct grammar and
spelling, using current APA style.
● Length of submission: Use the provided Root-Cause Analysis and Improvement Plan
template to create a 4–6 page root cause analysis and safety improvement plan
pertaining to medication administration.
● Number of references: Cite a minimum of 3 sources of scholarly or professional
evidence that support your findings and considerations. Resources should be no more
than 5 years old.
● APA formatting: Format references and citations according to current APA style.
Please use these sub-titles for paper:
Root-Cause Analysis and Improvement Plan
Application of Evidence-Based Strategies